In this edition of The Logistics Workforce Update, join us as we talk through proposed changes to the Hours of Service rules, and how you can provide input into the changes being made.
Hours of Service Information From the Federal Register:
The introduction of electronic logging devices and their ability to accurately record compliance with hours of service (HOS) regulations for drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) have prompted numerous requests from Congress and the public for FMCSA to consider revising certain HOS provisions. To address these requests, FMCSA seeks public input in four specific areas in which the Agency is considering changes:
- The short-haul HOS limit;
- The HOS exception for adverse driving conditions;
- The 30-minute rest break provision;
- And the sleeper berth rule to allow drivers to split their required time in the sleeper berth.
In addition, the Agency seeks public comment on petitions for rulemaking from the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA) and TruckerNation.org (TruckerNation). OOIDA petitioned the Agency to amend the HOS rules to allow drivers to take a rest break once per 14-hour duty period for up to three consecutive hours if the driver is off-duty. OOIDA’s petition also requests that the Agency eliminate the 30-minute rest break requirement which the Agency had identified as an area of consideration for rulemaking. TruckerNation petitioned the Agency to revise the prohibition against driving after the 14th hour of the beginning of the work shift, allow drivers to use multiple off-duty periods of three hours or longer in lieu of having 10 consecutive hours off-duty, and eliminate the 30-minute rest break requirement.
Comments on this ANPRM must be received on or before September 24, 2018
You may submit comments identified by Docket Number FMCSA-2018-0248 using any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the online instructions for submitting comments.
- Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, West Building, Ground Floor, Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590-0001.
- Hand Delivery or Courier: West Building, Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
- Fax: 202-493-2251.
- Submissions Containing Confidential Business Information (CBI): Mr. Brian Dahlin, Chief, Regulatory Evaluation Division, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590.
To avoid duplication, please use only one of these four methods. See the “Public Participation and Request for Comments” portion of the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section for instructions on submitting comments, including collection of information comments for the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, OMB.
- Hours of Service of Drivers: A Proposed Rule by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on 08/23/2018
TeamOne Logistics is a nationally recognized workforce expert exclusively focused on the asset-based transportation and logistics industry. We partner with your company to design, manage, and integrate workforce solutions for your logistics-enabled business.
TeamOne Logistics has a unique business model. What we provide is distinctive. We are a long-term enhanced alternative to the driver staffing/leasing companies the transportation industry has endured for too long. TeamOne Logistics delivers expertise and solutions in the following areas:
- Expert Logistics Recruiting
- Improved Employee Retention
- Workers Compensation
- HR, Payroll & Benefits
- Custom Safety & Compliance
- Operations Support
To learn more about working with us, contact us today!
- Posted by admin
- On September 19, 2018
- 0 Comments