(As seen on Sys-Con Media)
Getting your CDL is the first step to earning a well-respected position as a driver within the transportation industry. However, there are a few tips and tricks to the trade that should be followed in order to keep up with the more experienced drivers. TeamOne Logistics lists the top five tips for new drivers within thetrucking industry:
1. Stay focused. Distractions are one of the top causes of road accidents in the United States today. Keep your eyes focused on the road to prevent any accidents by utilizing hands-free electronics and devices. Leave all phone and radio fiddling for rest stops.
2. Remain well-rested. Another leading cause of accidents among truckers is falling asleep at the wheel. Follow all commercial driving regulations in regard to the mandated hours of sleep required before getting behind the wheel.
3. Keep distance. Large trucks need significantly more time to stop than a non-commercial vehicle. Keep an appropriate distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you in order to prevent any accidents from occurring.
4. Keep in touch. Communication is key when dealing with coworkers, clients, and other drivers on the road. Use adequate signaling to indicate vehicle turning or slowing down, establish relationships with coworkers, and rely on your company dispatchers who help you safely arrive at your destination.
5. Maintain your health. Regular exercise along with both physical and mental health checkups are vital for maintaining your health as a member of the transportation industry. As heavy lifting and long hours are two of the main job requirements, employee health stands as the top priority in order to promote a successful, long-lasting career.
- Posted by admin
- On April 8, 2016
- 0 Comments